Monday, December 18, 2006

12/18/06 UPDATE

Last week was a significant milestone. J and I celebrated 10 years of marriage. What did we do to celebrate? Well. . . we bought Quizno's and went to a park so the boys could go play on the stuff and we could have a few minutes alone to talk. I know, a meager attempt, but it was the best we could pull off under the circumstances. Where's a Geoghagan girl when you need one:)

We had lunch on Wednesday with a couple who've been involved in several church plants. They are a retired couple who really are amazing. They are involved in tons of stuff - an inner city ministry, on "staff" at their church, meeting with a variety of church plants and planters. Most of all, they are very in touch with ministry in the context of today. It was encouraging to see a couple who are older than we are, put aside their preferences and desires to serve others. As I've visited "younger" churches in the area, I've been amazed at the number of older people present. They often seem very involved and working. Most acknowledge that there is a sacrifice involved - it might not be there "style". i'm not trying to stereotype a certain group of individuals - that's not my intent. I've been challenged by their example because i know it is difficult to set aside your preferences to pursue what is best for the kingdom of God. My prayer is that I'll be open to change as my "methods" and "preferences" are no longer the most effective.

We had a good weekend. Friday night, Heartland Church (where we've been going) had a get together and took a bus to look at Christmas lights, There's one subdivision here where everyone pays people to put up elaborate decorations. it was cool and the boys had a great time. We learned moderation is a good idea for 5 year olds and hot chocolate! We also hung out with some friends after church yesterday. It's really cool when we hang with them because our kids get along great, so we can talk the whole time with minimal interruptions.

For prayers, the main concern I've been having is for meeting people. Pray that God will connect us with people. Mainly lost people who God has been preparing to hear the gospel. Also, for Believers who are well connected with unbelievers. Not finding a good way to do this has been the most frustrating aspect of our time here so far.

Thanks for your prayers. They move heaven and earth.

No comments: