01/01/07 UPDATE
Well, you can tell by the picture what the highlight of this week was! We weren't supposed to get snow, but we got about 3 1/2". The boys were excited to get to see it and use their sledding stuff and snow equipment. It started snowing Sunday morning and really started about 15 minutes before church started. J came in to get the boys and was all excited to get them to see it. They came running back inside all excited and L had a present for me - he brought me a handful of it so I could see it too. They've been sledding, throwing snow balls, making snow angels, the whole bit.
This past week has been both encouraging and productive - although in an odd way. I haven't been "working" as much as I would like. Since Christmas, I've found that it seems like I'm one of the only people in O trying to work! A lot of what I might have hoped to get done, didn't.
However, my biggest concern has been meeting people (especially lost people). To that end, I've been working to build relationships with people here. One was with a guy named Spencer. He works at our bank and helped us open our accounts. We hit it off because he's a huge college football fan, so we were talking about that. Since then, I've been intentionally going to that branch and going inside to make conversation, etc. I really felt like it was a waste of time though, because he told me he lived across the river in Iowa (that would put him on the complete other side of Omaha than we're targeting). On Tuesday, I went in to get some of the stuff straight in preparation for closing and mentioned that we were buying a house. He asked where and I told him 168th St. He said, "Cool, I live at 144th St." (That would be 2 miles away, which is just around the block out here) When I said I thought he lived in council bluffs, he said, "Yeah I did but we just moved a couple of weeks ago." I got his phone number and he told me to call him "when I was having a big party or something." Hmmm, I think my last "big party" was about 15 years ago, but we'll figure something out. At this point, the Darth Vader theme shoud be playing in the background with the Millenium Falcon being pulled to the Death Star by a tractor beam (some of you may have to rent Star Wars to figure this one out - or just ask Mike Dunn if you're in St. Joe). I had a seminary professor use that as an illustration for the Holy Spirit drawing people to God.
Another interesting contact was on Friday. I went to a local lake/park to work on my sermon. My neighbor Brad said he goes there often to fish. I hadn't seen him for several weeks because he and his wife have seperated. We haven't talked since that happened and I've been looking for an opportunity. He teaches school, so I knew he was on vacation and kept watching for his vehicle. I happened to see it, so I put my coat on and took a walk in the rain. I "bumped into him" eventually and we got to talk for a pretty good while. He shared with me some of what was going on and we talked about getting together sometime to fish and I was able to invite him to church.
If you will notice, I asked you to pray for "fruitful contacts" last week. I think these would classify as answers.
Sunday went well, too. I preached at the church where we've been attending. I got some really good feedback, so i think it went well. I even kept it in the 30 minute range! That was really important since the movies start very shortly after church. It was funny to preach in a movie theater - they project the power point on the "big screen." From the front, it looks just like everybody's watching a movie while you're trying to talk to them. Some even had sodas and coffee (no popcorn though - but you can buy it on the way out). We had invited several people to come, but the snow kept most of them away. We did have one couple show up though.
After church we went to lunch with a huge group of people from the church, which was fun. Then we got a call on Monday to hang out with some friends for New Year's so that was cool. Anyway, it was a pretty eventful week considering I didn't feel like I got anything "done."
The big deal for this week is closing on the house. We're trying to get it set for Thursday afternoon since we had someone volunteer to keep the kids. If so, then Friday will start the painting. I am NOT looking forward to that process! Please pray that the closing will go well and we will get all the work done quickly. I'm hoping to have our first "Gathering" (small group) by the end of the month.
Also, keep praying for fruitful contacts. Lost people. Leaders for the work who are well connected with lost people. Opportunities to share the Good News.
Thanks for the prayers. You got it - they move heaven and earth.
No comments:
Post a Comment