Last week I spent a lot of time putting together bookshelves and stuff. During that time, I made a new little buddy - Leighton. The other two were busy with school and since I wasn't "working," he decided to "help" me out. He really just hung around and talked to me and showed me stuff he built with lego's. Whenever i started working on one of these projects, he decided he wanted to help. He'd say, "Daddy, can i help you build sumping." (that's 4 year old for something)
Ok, i know it makes me sound like a loser-dad, but i don't really do well with that. I just want to get the junk done and move on. More often than not, the boys only slow me down and make things take longer. I decided to let him help, though. I realized that he does well when i give him a project and let him go for it. I'd start a screw and give him a screwdriver. He'd sit there cranking on one screw while i did the rest. Then, I'd come back, finish up what he was doing and polish it off. He'd be really proud and tell everybody to check out what "we" built. I really started to enjoy it and snapped a couple of pictures.
A few days later, I was thinking about the whole deal. Suddenly it hit me. That's how things work with me and God. I bust my chops doing stuff to start a church. In reality, at my best, I'm just cranking on a screw that never even gets tight. God puts it all together and then I throw up my hands and say "YES! Look what we built!" Right.
It's cool that God lets us in on what he's doing. We get to know Him better and see things done that we could never accomplish. It's also nice to know it doesn't depend on our abilities, but His power. That's how things really work, we're involved, but He's the one that really does it.
So. . . Daddy, you wanna build sumping?
1 comment:
Yea and amen to that . . . you got it just right man. Peace, D
Post a Comment