Monday, May 14, 2007

05/14/07 UPDATE

Last week continued to be one of rapid-fire events. On a personal note, two things were really cool. One, Jacqueline and I went to Kansas to see the Dead Sea Scrolls. Two, Jackson scored a goal in his soccer game!

As far as Redeemer goes, there were also several significant events there. I'm continuing to pursue a meeting location. I looked at the middle school on Tuesday. They have a gym and cafeteria available. On Friday I looked at the high school. It's huge (2,100 students) and has an amazing auditorium that is set up like a theatre. I almost didn't look at it because it's so big (it seats 614). At our coaching meeting, they encouraged me to check it out and gave some ideas to "shrink" it. I think it will set up really well. they have a lower level of 200+ seats and an upper level with 400 or so. I think I can put up curtains to seperate the upper half and make it manageable. It also has a really nice sound and lighting system (if they'll let us use them) and chairs. I'm in the process of getting forms turned in, insurance policies, etc. Please pray that this will go smoothly and that God will give us favor with those who are in charge - the principal, vice-principals, and custodians.

The only difficulty is that the auditorium is not available in the summer, so we'll have to meet in the "commons" - a multi-purpose cafeteria, etc. I will have to find a sound system, etc. to meet in there.

I also talked with a potential worship leader this week. He sounds very talented and we have a lot in common. He and his wife are moving to Omaha the end of August. i think he wants a full-time position (understandably) but we talked and he's considering it. Please pray for God's guidance. We need Him to call the right person, whoever that may be.

On Tuesday night I met with the Missions Pastor at Central Baptist Church in Jonesboro, Arkansas. They are sending a team up to help us this summer and are going to adopt Nebraska as a missions partner. He is a really sharp guy who used to be a missionary and now coordinates their church in missions - both internationally and in the US. He said that they are a little imbalanced right now, with a large emphasis on international missions, but not as much in the states. He said his vision is to eventually build to the point that he would say, for example, "We want 10 or 15 of you to find jobs and go to Omaha to help start a church. We're sending you and $200,000 to buy land for a building to get a church started." Wow! Now that's a vision for church planting!

I also traveled to NYC for my second church planter coaching meeting. It went really well. In fact, it is going better than I would have thought. it is providing much needed traction, guidance, and encouragement for me.

The biggest concern right now is stress. i keep having these "AHHHHHHHHH!" moments. For example, on Monday, J'line mentioned mother's day. I freaked out. I think she thought it was because I had forgotten Mother's Day. Actually it was because I realized that our first service is the week BEFORE Father's Day - meaning that I had about a month to get it together. Another example was as we were winding up the coaching meeting. They asked, "So who's having a service before our next meeting?" i was like "AHHHHHHHHHH, I am." Everybody laughed because they are there too.

Please pray for:
1. God to give us wisdom in planning and favor with people.
2. Meeting space - pray that God will give us favor with the people in charge.
3. Worship leader - pray that God will lead us to the right person and that he will confirm it to both of us.
4. God to draw people through our ministry projects, servant evangelism projects, and monthly services.
5. PRAY FOR EVERYTHING TO COME TOGETHER FOR OUR FIRST MONTHLY SERVICE ON JUNE 10. We're praying for 75 people.

No comments: