12/04/06 UPDATE
Last week was a really good one. We did several things that were really cool. God also answered several prayer requests.
First, things are rolling along smoothly with the house. We had the inspection which turned up no big problems. We're approved for the mortgage - HA! I find it scary how much money banks are willing to "give" you.
Second, we got a "treat" on Wednesday. Some friends gave us tickets to a college basketball game. See the post below for a laugh.
Third, we had a really good meeting with a family interested in the church plant. He likes to fish and loves college basketball, so he should make the cut! They are a great couple - we'll see how God orchestrates things in the future. We told some friends who attempted a church plant that we had 3 or 4 couples who were seriously interested. They said "Well, you've made it farther than we did." We've still got a long way to go though.
Fourth, we had not just one, but two opportunities to do things without the boys! WOOHOO! That's the first time since we moved up here. The church had a parents night out on Friday. They rented a big fitness center/gym with a pool, etc. and the kids had a blast. Then on Saturday, we had the ministers/wives associational Christmas party. Another "its a small world" moment for those of you from G'ville and St. Joe - I was talking to one of the pastor's here. He moved up from Louisville, KY about 18 months ago. He had been the educational associate at Bill Cook's church.
Fifth, I had one of those answers to prayer where you think God is really trying to make a point. (The following details are included just because they made the answer very clear to me, not to imply any need, etc.) We've been discussing finances a lot lately because of the pending house purchase. As we were talking last week, J said "Oh, we won't be getting a Christmas bonus this year." The pertinent point being that the bonus we used to get from the church is what we used to buy Christmas - we didn't "save up" for it. We'd usually get $300 and give $150 to Lottie Moon and spend $150 on our family Christmas presents. When she said that, I realized I hadn't thought of that either and I voiced a prayer to God, something along the lines of "God, would you provide for that in another way." I've been learning to just say a quick prayer to God when something crosses my mind, rather than trying to remember it for later and pray more extensively about it. i usually forget and don't pray about it at all. so, in this case, I shot up a quick request. Almost as soon as I prayed it (almost out of reflex), I then thought about what I'd said. My thought was, "Yeah, right. Like anyone's going to think about that." Well, a few days later, i got an email that said a check was in the mail that was for the kid's Christmas. The amount? $150. I was rebuked (and encouraged). I've been thinking that I hadn't been sharing enough answers to your prayers with you, so I wanted to in this case.
Yesterday we had a very different church experience. We went to a traditional church. Not First Baptist, etc. I mean REALLY traditional. Like 300 A.D. i have a friend who is Eastern Orthodox. He invited me to church Sunday because his son was getting "churched." I had to ask what that was, because the only "churching" I had heard of involved kicking somebody out and his son is only 5 weeks old! Apparently, they have a tradition that mother and child are welcomed back into the church after 40 days. There is a small ceremony where they are presented to the church and committed in prayer to Jesus. It was a really different experience. The entire service is a liturgy that was put together by John Chrysostom (sp?) a famous preacher in the late 300's. They were kind enough to translate it into English, unlike the Greek Orthodox. It was a very different environment. My friend seemed touched that we had come. That was the main reason we went - building the relationship.
Also, pray for our neighbors. I have been looking for an opportunity to share the gospel with them. It seems that they are going through a time that might make them very receptive.
PRAISES
House
God hears and answers prayers - even if we don't think He will.
More good contacts for the core and to share the gospel.
PRAYERS
We need MORE good contacts for the core and to share the Gospel.
God to call people to the work.
God to lead people to salvation.
Wisdom as we plan, prepare, explore, etc.
Pray for things to go smoothly with the house and Juanita's transition up here.
Monday, December 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment