Tuesday, March 27, 2007

03/27/2007 UPDATE

We arrived back in Omaha last night at midnight or so. We had a good time in Seattle. There were some rather difficult, trying, challenging, etc. moments, but overall it was good. J and I spent a few days there after the conference was over to see the city and have some time on our own. L was sick the first three days we were gone, but eventually mom and dad had two days without a sick child. They survived and had fun (i think) despite having to carry a plastic garbage can with them everywhere:)

I'll try and post some thoughts from the conference on my other blog and reserve comment here for things pertinent for prayer regarding our situation in Omaha.

First, I was confronted with the utter impossibility of what we're trying to do. I really don't have what it takes and sometimes get deluded into thinking I do. For me, this is actually good because it means that God must come through. If God has called me to do it, then it depends on Him. This lead J and I to spend a long time discussing our call and the many ways God has called and confirmed what we are doing. It became a very productive time as we thought through the numerous ways God called us and confirmed it. We left realizing several things that need to change in us and our approach. I was led to repent of several things like personal pride and focus on God's restoration and the Holy Spirit.

Second, J and I saw some drastic adjustments that we need to make in the work here. Again, most are related to the need to reach unchurched people and forget about actively pursuing churched people. We both feel very strongly that family is our first priority, so we have to make time for one another (and really engage each other in that time). However, we also have to carve out time to build relationships with people and practice hospitality (one Biblical means of evangelism). These adjustments will be very challenging and involve making some big decisions.

Third, I came away with a deeper understanding of the Gospel. This is something God has been working into me for the past couple of years. The Gospel is more than our ticket to heaven. It's more than, "Ok, God wiped the slate clean, now you take it from here and do the right things that will make him proud." The Gospel is that God crushed His Son as payment for our sin. He is proud of us due to the gift of Jesus and nothing else. We are utterly incapable of pleasing apart from faith in Jesus. We are still as desperate for God's grace today as the day before we were saved.

We tend to try and "lower the bar" to something we can meet. The opposite approach is needed - lift the bar to where God places it - perfection. When we do, our first observation will be, I can't do it. This drives us back to God in desperation for His help - which is where He wants us. He doesn't miserly meet out that help, he wants to lavish it on us. In short, its a proclamation that God is for us and wants us to turn to Him in utter dependence - in everything. I don't know, it's one of those things that I can't express clearly but that I know in my soul is a HUGE shift. Check the other blog later, I'll try to work this out some more.

PLEASE PRAY FOR:
God to move here - it's all up to Him.
Wisdom as we plan, schedule, etc.
My first coaching session in NYC on April 12.
God to continue the work He is doing in me. Pray for humility on my part to accept what He shows me, the grace to repent, and the power to persevere.
A worship leader and band.
A meeting location.
Resources for the necessary activities to reach the community.
Connection with the right people as we reach out around us.

No comments: