04/02/07 UPDATE
Last week consisted of a great deal of planning and preparation for upcoming stuff. I spent a lot of time on the phone trying to set up meetings with interested people during an upcoming "Southern tour." We are coming down to move my mother-in-law to O and are trying to make the most of our time. There is also a lot of upcoming planning to prepare for three mission groups that will be coming up to help over the summer, our three once-a-month services during the summer, and our public launch of weekly services in September. Specifically, i'm trying to track down a worship leader, meeting location, equipment, incorporate the church, design a website, design brochures to give out during our block parties, raise funds to provide all of this stuff, set up meetings with prospects, prepare to preach on the 15th and 22nd, and I'm sure there's other things I'm forgetting to mention:)
Another benefit from our time in Seattle was that J and I spent a great deal of time walking back through our calling to plant a church. God strengthened that calling as we reviewed it. We are trying to consciously focus on the fact that this is God's plan and therefore He is the one responsible to carry it out. We are simply called to remain sensitive to Him and obey as He leads. This week, I've been focusing on that and during my study, God gave me a new verse, Isaiah 41:9b-10:
'You are my servant';
I have chosen you and have not rejected you.
So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strenghten you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Last week was a very encouraging time for me. Friday night, I got to talk with several people who are interested in the church. It is extrememly encouraging to meet new prospects. Also, I met with a pastor who is planting a Methodist church in the area. I wasn't aware of their existence, but I got a card in the mail and contacted him. He told me that the ground here is very fertile and that they are reaching a lot of new people. They are very similar to us in philosophy and style and those methods are working. That is really good news! He is also very cooperative and has the mindset that "there's plenty for all of us to do." Also, we had our record Gathering last night. We had 7 adults! Of course, the three new ones won't be back, but that's ok. They were a couple who's very interested in church planting and are doing all the paperwork for incorporating the church, setting up the bank accounts, etc. The other was our Director of Missions, who stopped by because his wife was out of town and he was hungry, i mean, he wanted to come by and encourage us:)
Here are some specific prayer requests for us this week:
A worship leader.
A place to meet.
Partners in funding many of the upcoming projects and needs.
God to draw people to be part of the plant.
Our first monthly service - June 10. I'm praying for 75 people.
Our public launch - September 9. I'm praying for 250 people.
Monday, April 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment