10/08/07 UPDATE
Yesterday went really well, we had 36 (26 adults and 10 kids). That is the most kids we have had yet. Of the adults, 10 were first time guests.
I had a great conversation with one of them. At the welcome time, she told me, "This is the first time I have ever been in a Christian church, so it's all new to me. What's your role here?" Just to understand what she meant, the Catholics here refer to themselves as Catholics and Protestants as Christians. She was raised Catholic and it "just wasn't working." She got our card and came. We had a great conversation after the service about the gospel. I'm finding that we are encountering a lot of Catholics who are dissillusioned by their church experience and are really hungry for the gospel.
Another great trend is that we are giving away Bibles like hotcakes. Based on conversations with some of the people, they are reading them too! I ordered another case yesterday. Just a tip, I'm finding that people go crazy over free stuff. It doesn't matter what it is, if its free, people are interested. We have a free resource table with T-shirts (i've gotten reports of people seeing our shirts at the gym), "How Good is Good Enough" by Andy Stanley, and Bibles. We're also making sure that when we go out in the community, we give the people something. Sometimes small (a battery), sometimes big (block party).
My biggest request for prayer is regarding people to help. Basically, my family and another one are doing all of the set up/tear down work and it gets taxing. Juanita has yet to sit in on a service because she's working in the nursery. We could really use some help, so I'm going to be asking some of our regular attenders to get involved this week.
One side note, Josh and I were taking down the signs after the service and we probably didn't have the best attitude about it, since we were hot, tired, and hungry. As we were taking one down, a guy walked up and asked us what time the service was because he and his wife wanted to come. We had a good talk and as we drove off, Josh said, "I guess that's why we do this, huh?" The work sometimes seems menial, mundane, and taxing, but its all a part of introducing people to Jesus and you just can't beat that.
Pray for us this week as we try to follow up on all of the contacts we have made in the last few weeks. Also, pray for the seeds that have been sown to bear fruit.
In addition, I'm meeting with a prospective Worship Pastor on Tuesday. Pray for God to clearly guide our discussions and show both of us if we are to team up on this work.
Monday, October 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment