Monday, October 22, 2007

10/22/07 UPDATE

Thanks for your prayers last week. It was a pretty good week.

On Tuesday, I attended the Kansas-Nebraska State Convention. I'm not a "convention" guy. I only went because they wanted me to introduce myself. It turned out pretty well though. Our convention is small enough that you can meet and get to know people. For example, I was walking down the hall and hear someone say, "Hey, Lee." I turned and it was our Executive Director. He took me and introduced me to several people and we talked for probably 30 minutes. That doesn't usually happen at conventions when you're a nobody.

On Wednesday, I got up at 4:00 am to board a plane for TN. Jack and Roberta, J'line's dad and step-mother, purchased a new van for us (in Destin, FL of all places). We wanted to buy one down south because it saved us several thousand dollars and it hasn't spent the last 5 winters in the salt. It turned out to be a great deal, but I had to fly out and drive it back. I arrived at 4:05 am on Thursday morning extremely tired. Again, it was a situation where God provided for us - between selling the Jeep and the generous gift of another couple, we were able to pay cash for it.

Sunday went well. We had 35 in attendance. Setup went more smoothly than it ever has - especially since we had a guy come early to help and bring tons of "gadgets" to help in the process. We saw some changes in the congregation too. Until now, people come in like they are going to a movie. They all select their seat and stare dutifully towards the front until we get started. This Sunday, I noticed people mingling and talking. It's starting to feel like a church. We've got a consistent group that shows up and God is really working among them. We've got to work to invite and bring in new people, but the progress so far has been really encouraging.

The best thing of the day was the worship leader. I haven't been in a service before where the worship leader created a buzz, but he did. The Spirit really moved as he led us to worship God. His name is Jason Hinze. You can hear him at http://www.myspace.com/jasonhinze (if you're interested). He and another friend of mine are doing a concert for us at Scooter's this Friday. We're hoping to use it as a time for everyone to hang out and get to know one another.

This week, please pray for:

Our gathering this Friday - that a lot of people will show up and that it will enable us to build relationships.

A worship leader. Pray that God will clearly call the person who is to help us.

God to continue drawing people to Himself.

That we will enjoy the boy's fall break from school.

No comments: